COPIC originally developed its risk management discount program in 1993 as a method of rewarding physicians who adhere to risk management guidelines and continue to expand their knowledge by participating in seminars, trainings and other activities. Physicians who met these requirements were given “Preferred” premium status. Today, the program continues to build on what we have done in the past and offers an array of education opportunities for medical professionals to further their expertise and reduce premiums through the associated discount.
Expansion of Program to Allied Health Professionals (AHPs)
Effective January 1, 2015, the COPIC Points Program was expanded to include the following AHPs:
- Anesthesiology Assistant
- Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist
- Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Nurse Midwife
- Nurse Practitioner
- Physician Assistant
These AHPs were selected for this program expansion because they are licensed professionals, often deal with medical records, and have direct interactions with patients. Please note that of the AHPs listed, only those who are charged an associated premium for coverage with COPIC are eligible to receive the premium discount by participating in activities that qualify for COPIC points. For a list of preferred courses for AHPs, please see the "COPIC Points Expanded to AHPs" PDF posted on the right.
COPIC Points Program Guidelines
Points are earned during a one-year cycle that runs from January to December.
- Participants need to have a balance of 3 or more COPIC points at year-end in order to receive the Preferred premium discount on their subsequent year’s policy renewal.
- Participants will be able to roll over excess points of those required in a given year and apply these to the subsequent year (up to a maximum of 6 points).
- Full- and part-time medical professionals will follow the same point system.
- New physicians automatically receive the Preferred premium discount, but need to participate in the program during their first full year of being COPIC-insured to maintain the discount for the subsequent year.
- For eligible AHPs, the same participation guidelines apply; however, 2016 is the first year that AHPs will start to receive the discount (if they are COPIC-insured as of 1/1/15, they will need to earn 3 points by 12/31/15).
The COPIC Points Program and its associated premium discount serve two purposes. First, it helps you control your premium and it helps COPIC ensure that you have access to—and take advantage of—important risk management information. Secondly, this patient safety and risk management information can help you reduce your likelihood of claims, improve your defensibility should you have a claim, and protect you and your patients from adverse medical outcomes. The program is voluntary and you are under no obligation to participate and earn COPIC points.
Medical professionals who choose to participate in the COPIC Points Program have a wide range of opportunities for earning points. These opportunities are developed in direct response to suggestions from COPIC insureds, experiences from occurrences and claims, and national literature and patient safety materials. We continually update our offerings and develop new materials in response to regulatory changes and emerging trends in health care. Visit the Courses and Seminars page to view a current list of activities.
COPIC encourages all eligible medical professionals to participate in the education opportunities we offer (including volunteer physicians). Physicians (excluding slot and locum tenens physicians) and select AHPs covered under our medical professional liability policy forms are eligible to earn COPIC points and receive the Preferred premium discount.